01 02 03 Artwork of Terra Fine: Table Tennis in the Park 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Table Tennis in the Park

34
During one of my walks through City Park in Budapest I came across a group of people playing table tennis. There were permanent tables set up among the trees, a magical place where I sat and watched some very talented players. I was noticed soon, my staring obvious, and a couple of very nice Hungarian gentlemen greeted me. We soon discovered that I didn't speak Hungarian and none of them spoke English. I came back to the park almost every day during my residency and in that time I learned a little Hungarian and I taught them a little English. "Charlie" (the very serious looking fellow below) offered to teach me to play and though I didn't compare with the skills most had there (my friend "George", also below, was excellent), I had a lot of fun trying and they had a lot of fun laughing at me.


35 36 37 38